Question Solved: can't do "sudo nautilus"

This is the error i get:

Code:
    user@desktop:~$ sudo nautilus
    [sudo] password for user: 
    Initializing nautilus-open-terminal extension
    seahorse nautilus module initialized
    Initializing nautilus-share extension

(nautilus:6660): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_simple_async_result_set_from_error: assertion `error != NULL' failed

(nautilus:6660): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_error_free: assertion `error != NULL' failed

(nautilus:6660): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_simple_async_result_set_from_error: assertion `error != NULL' failed

(nautilus:6660): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: (/build/buildd/glib2.0-2.16.6/gio/gfile.c:5249):IA__g_file_load_partial_contents_finish: runtime check failed: (g_simple_async_result_get_source_tag (simple) == g_file_load_contents_async)
    Fallo de segmentación
    any help??

----------

after a little gogle search.. i found it was all about the "blank dvd mistery"... ejected the DVD and VOILA!
    Last edited by sakul07; October 30th, 2008 at 03:14 AM. Reason: issue solved

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: can't do "sudo nautilus"

You should use gksudo (or kdesudo if you're in kde) with gui apps. Sudo is for command line apps, gksudo is for gui apps.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

maybe its a typo
    #gksudo nautilus

Beans

nope... it didn't work:

Code:
    user@desktop:~$ gksudo nautilus
    Initializing nautilus-open-terminal extension
    Initializing nautilus-share extension

(nautilus:6889): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_simple_async_result_set_from_error: assertion `error != NULL' failed

(nautilus:6889): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_error_free: assertion `error != NULL' failed
    SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
    (nautilus:6889): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_simple_async_result_set_from_error: assertion `error != NULL' failed

(nautilus:6889): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: (/build/buildd/glib2.0-2.16.6/gio/gfile.c:5249):IA__g_file_load_partial_contents_finish: runtime check failed: (g_simple_async_result_get_source_tag (simple) == g_file_load_contents_async)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Ok...I got this same error for sudo Kino and sudo Nautilus earlier today. Even after a reboot, and a complete reinstall of kino. I figured something was wrong with the sudo command (gksudo didn't work either, it just didn't display any output errors).

Either way...several hours later, I tried again and viola! It suddenly works again. Still...very perplexing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I've been having similar issues with progams crashing when Open/Save file dialogs opened. It appears to only happen when programs are run with sudo. A post an an Arch linux forum mention something about Nautilus crashing when a blank CD was in the drive. Sure enough, I had a blank disc in my drive, but it was a DVD. Upon removing it, the crashes stopped.

It would seem the problem has to do with Nautilus and how it mounts blank discs.

/EDIT
    I just noticed the small edit on the original post mentioning having a blank DVD inserted.

I also found this article: http://www.hightechsister.com/559/na...with-blank-cd/
    Excerpt:
    Without removing the cd, nautilus can be ran as root from the terminal using the command sudo dbus-launch nautilus.
    This will to work for other programs too. Just replace nautilus with the program name.
    Last edited by snowhuouV; November 1st, 2008 at 07:40 PM. Reason: additional solution

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Smile Re: can't do "sudo nautilus"

Me too faced to the same issue and struggled for some time. In some pages they are mentioning that they had to re-install the OS inorder to fix this issue. What you guys mentioned is exactly correct. The problem is having a blank dvd inside my burner. Thanks a lot for saving me from re-installing the OS .

Beans

I had the same problem and elsewhere on here (searched) I found this advice
    Code:
    gksudo dbus-launch nautilus
    and that worked for me
    don't know it will help - I'm still a novice myself.

Beans

I had a cdrw in my drive took it out and now the command works.

Beans

I can confirm that errors with GLib on several Gnome programs are somewhat related to a blank CD/DVD inside the unit.

In my case the "Login Window" application to configure the GDM login window crashed when I inserted a blank DVD. No idea of the reason of this behaviour.

Also the sequence: "Synaptic -> Settings -> Repositories -> Authentication -> Import Key File" crashed with a blank DVD inserted.

By the way, I use Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Server (64 bits) with Gnome installed as graphical environment.