Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How To: Internet sharing on USB with Linux and Windows Mobile

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

How To: Internet sharing on USB with Linux and Windows Mobile

Solution for HTC Touch Pro / HD / Diamond (And other WM 6.1 < phones. Also works on 6.5)

OTHER WM6.0 > phones, keep on reading:

I have been lookin' for a complete guide on "How to connect to HSDPA/3G trough USB with Linux and Windows Mobile 6" - And here is the solution!

To connect your WM6 device via usb to your linux pc do the following:

On your phone enable internet sharing via usb but do not connect the usb cable yet.

Run the following commands..you may need to install "svn" for this to work: (install by terminal: sudo apt-get install subversion)

Code:
    svn co https://synce.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/synce/trunk/usb-rndis-lite/
    cd usb-rndis-lite/
    make
    sudo ./clean.sh
    sudo make install
    Create the path "/etc/sysconfig/network/", in Hardy Heron the path "sysconfig/network/" doesnt exists, easy with nautilus trough terminal:

Code:
    sudo nautilus
    Nautilus opens, and browse to "/etc/" and create the path "sysconfig/network/" and futher. - Close nautilus.

The create the file "ifcfg-rndis0" in "/etc/sysconfig/network/", easy with gedit (gnome's text-editor) trough terminal:

Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-rndis0
    Fill the file with the text below:

Code:
    BOOTPROTO='dhcp'
    BROADCAST=''
    ETHTOOL_OPTIONS=''
    IPADDR=''
    MTU='1460'
    MRU='1500'
    NAME=''
    PEERDNS=no
    NETMASK=''
    NETWORK=''
    REMOTE_IPADDR=''
    STARTMODE='hotplug'
    USERCONTROL='no'
    _nm_name='static-0'
    So, if you haven't start "Internet Sharing" on your WM-phone yet. Do it now..

- Now plug the phone into the usb cable going to the pc and if you do a "dmesg" you should see the following (or something similar):
    Code:
    [ 6539.589930] usb 5-1: USB disconnect, address 2
    [ 6539.590829] rndis0: unregister 'rndis_host' usb-0000:00:1d.2-1, RNDIS device (SynCE patched)
    [ 6540.972801] usb 5-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 3
    [ 6541.019337] usb 5-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
    [ 6541.628430] rndis0: register 'rndis_host' at usb-0000:00:1d.2-1, RNDIS device (SynCE patched), 80:00:60:0f:e8:00
    and if you do an ifconfig you should have a new rndis0 device:

Code:
    rndis0    Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 80:00:60:0f:e8:00  
              inet addr:192.168.0.102  Bcast:192.168.0.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
              inet6 addr: fe80::8200:60ff:fe0f:e800/64 Scope:Link
              UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:8050  Metric:1
              RX packets:3008 errors:2425 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:225
              TX packets:2993 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
              RX bytes:1915412 (1.8 MB)  TX bytes:763519 (745.6 KB)
    ----
    The rndis0 device will exist both when internet sharing is enabled via usb and when it is NOT....here is how it works:

If internet sharing IS enabled via usb you have access to the internet and will get an IP...default route will be set.

If internet sharing is NOT enabled via usb then the rndis0 device will exist and can be used by programs such as syncE to manage your contact list or transfer files but you will not have internet access (from the phone) and more than likely you will not get an ip address auto assigned (it may keep the ip it used last).

I know this works as I'm connected at the moment via the rndis0 device. I find it to be more responsive than the connection via bluetooth. Hope this helps someone.

Source from: http://forums.opensuse.org/1579065-post1.html
    Last edited by nukleuzN; March 9th, 2010 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Added solution for Diamond / Touch Pro

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Re: How To: Internet sharing on USB with Linux and Windows Mobile

Will try this when I get home to my laptop, I been looking for something like this for a while now, thanks XD

I'll post back here how things went. Thanks again.

~us3rX

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Good, hope it will work for you to. The connection is pretty fast. I allmost think it works better on linux then windows. (faster transferring??)

Remember not to connect ur phone before you have followed the steps and opened and connected throug Internet Sharing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by nukleuzN View Post
    Good, hope it will work for you to. The connection is pretty fast. I allmost think it works better on linux then windows. (faster transferring??)

Remember not to connect ur phone before you have followed the steps and opened and connected throug Internet Sharing.
    Followed it step by step and it worked ^.^ Thanks for the post

~us3rX

Beans

Thanks. I followed the instruction and I do succeed. I am very excited for the solution.

Beans

I was hoping that someone on this board can help me.
    First off, when ever I try the code "sudo apt-get install subversion" It tells me the package cannot be found or something similar to that. But I dont see that subversion can help me. I am trying to install usb-rndis-lite because I dont have access to the internet. The only code that uses subversion is the line "svn co https://synce.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/synce/trunk/usb-rndis-lite/" which obviously wont do me any good without an internet connection. I have copied all of the files at https://synce.svn.sourceforge.net/sv...sb-rndis-lite/ to a local folder and was hoping that I could install it from there. However, Ubuntu doesn't seem to like "make" all alone, nor does it like sudo make install, I forget exactly what it says but it seems to expect more info at these lines. Please help me. This is all I need to put XP in the garbage.

Beans

Please help!! I know this is easy for someone that has more experience w/ linux. Why cant I just type 'make' in the terminal when that is what the instructions say???

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by scenkner View Post
    I was hoping that someone on this board can help me.
    First off, when ever I try the code "sudo apt-get install subversion" It tells me the package cannot be found or something similar to that. But I dont see that subversion can help me. I am trying to install usb-rndis-lite because I dont have access to the internet. The only code that uses subversion is the line "svn co https://synce.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/synce/trunk/usb-rndis-lite/" which obviously wont do me any good without an internet connection. I have copied all of the files at https://synce.svn.sourceforge.net/sv...sb-rndis-lite/ to a local folder and was hoping that I could install it from there. However, Ubuntu doesn't seem to like "make" all alone, nor does it like sudo make install, I forget exactly what it says but it seems to expect more info at these lines. Please help me. This is all I need to put XP in the garbage.
    Have you tried to put the usb-rndis-lite in your home folder. So the path will be similar to this:

/home/USERNAME/usb-rndis-lite/

USERNAME is replace by the username you use to login to ubuntu.

Then, in Terminal:

Code:
    $ cd /home/USERNAME/
    $ chown root:root usb-rndis-lite/
    $ chmod 755 usb-rndis-lite/
    $ cd usb-rndis-lite/
    $ make
    $ sudo ./clean.sh
    $ sudo make install
    THEN, follow the steps futher. Next step will be this one:

"Create the path "/etc/sysconfig/network/", in Hardy Heron the path "sysconfig/network/" doesnt exists, easy with nautilus trough terminal:"

Please let us know if this solution works for you...

Tried to set this up using my Touch Diamond but can't seem to get it working
    I can share my connection (Orange UK) via bluetooth but it just doesn't seem to work using the USB cable. Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Hi,

I'm trying the above steps to get tethering to work on through my HTC Diamond. Everything appears to work, but Linux can't get an IP address. An rndis0 interface appears and an rndis0:avahi interface appears (whatever that means), but rndis0 doesn't get an IP address.

If I disconnect either the phone's usb cable, or terminate the connection on the phone itself, the rndis0 interfaces disappear again. That's something I like!

If only I'd get an IP address...

Thanks,

Arjan

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast