Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is using Webmin cheating?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Is using Webmin cheating?

I was having trouble with a couple of things on my server, like RAID. I spent maybe a day or so, trying to understand things like RAID, but couldn't. I installed Webmin, and in under 10 minutes I had everything setup.

Note: the preceding story is fictional.

So, is using Webmin cheating, or just a way to do things faster than cli?

Beans

Re: Is using Webmin cheating?

I see it as a way to set a server up easier. Say, if you're just not interested in getting into the nitty-gritty down and dirty side of a server, webmin would be the way to go.

Or... well... there's many reasons why someone would use webmin in the first place, although the CLI guru's could argue this all day and night but, everyone has their own preference and reasons.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

CLI will always give you more control over intricate details than any other way. Plus doing it the proper way gives a better understanding of how your system works and how to keep it secure. Sure it's more work, but the payoff is worthwhile.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

It's only cheating if you were taking a Linux course and had to set up a RAID manually as a homework assignment.

As far as I'm concerned, if you can make your life easier, do it!
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I say no. I set most of the stuff up on my server using webmin. For people who aren't all that leet at the CLI, having a GUI to help is the way to go.

Altho I did most of the specific app/server installs from the CLI, I used webmin to configure them.

Beans

It's cheating in the same way that using a hammer to drive in a nail (instead of, say, your head) is cheating

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralZod View Post
    It's cheating in the same way that using a hammer to drive in a nail (instead of, say, your head) is cheating
    Does using yer head to drive in a nail if you have a hardhat on count as doing it the right way then?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralZod View Post
    Pft, Nails are for cheaters.

Desktop
    Antec 300 Illusion, Athlon II X4 640, 8GB DDR3 1333, EarthWatts430W, Radeon HD 6670 1GB
    Laptop
    Lenovo Thinkpad Z61T, T7200@2.00GHz, 2GB DDR2, 100gb HD, TPM Encryption

Beans
    Hidden!

Not cheating but if you are going to support something, you should learn what it's all about. Otherwise you might be caught up the creek with no where to go.
    "Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual." - Terry Pratchett

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I like webmin, but thought the development of webmin had stopped. Is this true?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast