Thread: android factory reset

Beans

android factory reset

Lots of times in the past i have factory reset androids, it wipes everything including your google account. All good and well, one can start fresh. Like for instance if you buy or sell the phone.
    Well few days back my daughter's tablet was locked out of google cause she's underage,so i thought i'd do a factory reset and set up a new account with parental control (family link).
    To my surprise ,after the reset it said this device has been reset and please log in with the previous account you had on device. Never did that before ...so i put in the details of previous account but kept getting error "something went wrong,try again in 24 hours".
    Tried everything for 3 days and still locked out of my own device because i did a factory reset??
    Apparently this is a new "security feature" ,which seems pretty useless cause i had to take the tablet to my local phone guy ,who plugged it in a PC and bypassed this new "FRP (factory reset protection)" crap from google in 5 min. Tablet sorted .
    Anyway ,just to warn people that before you do a factory reset ,1st delete your google account and any screen password locks you might have . Only then do factory reset.
    Pity google doesn't inform people about this new hassle . This is still their way of explaining a factory reset

I found some very upset people over this , lol , look at this rant.
    that was posted in 2019, but iv'e done factory resets after that and never encountered that ,so not sure
    Here's another article explaining stuff better.
    Anyway ,this is just my 2cents about a new frustration from google, and hopefully help someone else falling into the same pit .

ps. maybe this is old news , idk, but it sure was new to me ...how often people do factory resets ...?
    Last edited by T6&sfpER35%; November 11th, 2021 at 09:13 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: android factory reset

I'll add one more thing to check before doing an android factory reset, decrypt any encrypted SD cards before doing a reset. I messed up with this one about 1 1/2 years ago on my current android phone and lost a ton of files that became unrecoverable. The rest of your points seem like good advice going on my last experience.

This post is good timing for me, just a day or two ago I started thinking of doing a clean out and rebuild of my phone as I'm getting some strange errors with app updating on a couple of apps (one important one being the app for my phone provider's account). I've tried all the google FAQ and troubleshooting tips with no luck and am now considering more "nuclear" options like a full phone reset. Can't remember why I did the reset last time now. I've had this phone for about 3 1/2 years and have only done 1 reset so far.

Good to know about the FRP setting if I do get around to cleaning this phone up soon, wasn't aware of that particular catch until reading this post. Cheers, yeti.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by 3nd View Post
    ps. maybe this is old news , idk, but it sure was new to me ...how often people do factory resets ...?
    I've factory reset 3 android devices over the last 11 yrs ... I would do it before giving or selling any portable device too, but I don't think I'll ever do that. It will be broken down first with storage and RAM torched instead. I don't believe there is any 100% certain method to clear SSD/Flash storage. Considering that my current 2017 android device is worth $6 on the used market, it isn't like I'm blowing money.

I usually don't connect android devices to any google accounts either and, if possible, I'll root them and put an alternative OS onto the system. I fear over the next 10 yrs, we will all discover how much google saves and correlates and that they never delete anything. To google the "delete" button for end-users is "remove from user view" only. Discussions with former googlers has me convinced this is true.

If you use any cloudy services, please spread some bogus, personal, misinformation into each and avoid using them for anything that is actually real and true.

Beans

FRP was introduced in 2015. And i did factory reset only once in my life and that was in, i think, 2019. Bcoz there were some issues installing apps. Few months later, that mobile broke and i bought a new one. Never did after that. BTW, Thanks for your concern Pal. I greatly appreciate that you tried to help us by informing us so that we don't go through such bad experience of FRP.

Beans

this actually depends on the devices and memory. usually my family member would let me reset their phone if they already received a system info about too much storage. that's usually the time i do the factory reset but i make sure that the google account is backed up and their are no encryption on the sd card cause usually the files are unrecoverable.

Beans

I only do factory resets when I have to sell my phone or my tablet. Have to take note of this as android phones seem to be getting less and less reliable now. The one I have is already showing signs of failure just 6months into the purchase. Thanks for this!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

This thread is attracting spammers and drive-bys.

Closed.
    Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 24.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.