Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Convince my mom to let me use linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Convince my mom to let me use linux

If there was a valid reason like "The hard drive is too small" or something else (I honestly can't think of another valid and possible reason) it wouldn't bother me. Or if I was trying to force her to use it. But "Because I said so" is crap, and whenever she (or ANY parent) makes that argument it becomes more of an issue of principle than technology.

Anyway, it was a birthday present. Just because she bought it doesn't mean she owns it, if you give a gift to someone it is theirs in it's entirety. At least in a perfect world.
    Last edited by Jforce93; November 7th, 2010 at 04:33 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by Jforce93 View Post
    If there was a valid reason like "The hard drive is too small" or something else (I honestly can't think of another valid and possible reason) it wouldn't bother me. Or if I was trying to force her to use it. But "Because I said so" is crap, and whenever she (or ANY parent) makes that argument it becomes more of an issue of principle than technology.

Anyway, it was a birthday present. Just because she bought it doesn't mean she owns it, if you give a gift to someone it is theirs in it's entirety. At least in a perfect world.
    This is probably going to sound crazy, but if your iBook works just fine for you, if you don't really need the MacBook, and you're that bothered by her reaction... I suggest that you refuse her false gift, and give it back to her.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

She created you so she owns you. She bought the computer so she own the computer. There is nothing much you can do. Unless you build or buy your own. Maybe you can salvage from old computer an install linux and show her what it can do.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

My feeling is that if you are respectful enough to ask, you should also respect her answer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Ah hell Ide just put it on anyhow when she is not around I never listened to my parents too well.Whats the worst they can do they cant kill you for it right!
    This is Linux. It gives you a cute mascot and enough rope to hang yourself!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Timmer1240 View Post
    Ah hell Ide just put it on anyhow when she is not around I never listened to my parents too well.Whats the worst they can do they cant kill you for it right!
    You are grounded. No TV, no computer and no comic book. Now go to your room and stay there.

Beans

ye put it on without her knowing. if i remember correctly u need to press a special key to boot into a secondary OS in macs.

and knowing moms,
    1. someone else knows better.
    2. She is always right.
    3. because i said so, is a valid reason.
    4. even if they don't know what they are talking about, they are still right because someone told them so, or because they just are...
    Last edited by v1ad; November 7th, 2010 at 05:56 AM.
    Just hand me my pitchfork and torch.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Khakilang View Post
    You are grounded. No TV, no computer and no comic book. Now go to your room and stay there.
    Win!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Because of the length, I'm going to break down my points into sections.

The "because I said so" argument:

"Because I said so" is a tough pill for most young people to swallow (myself included, as I'm only 19) but as I've gotten older, I've started to see more and more that the phrase generally has complex reasons behind it that are often valid and real, but are simply hard to articulate. Your mother may simply have a hard time explaining why she doesn't want you to install Linux. She may not even fully understand the reasons herself, but that doesn't mean that they aren't real concerns. It may simply be a matter of giving her enough time to explain herself. It may not.

Your property:

If this was a gift to you, then it is yours to do with as you please. Your parent has no more claim on it than on clothing or games that they have purchased for you. So you can do what you want to it. However...

Don't ignore your parent:

I am going to suggest that you should not simply circumvent your parent's will. If you do that, she will probably be very upset if/when she finds out. At that moment, you will lose some of the trust and respect that she has given to you, which is far more valuable than a free operating system.

I'm not saying that you always have to do everything that she says, but I am saying that she is not out to get you. She is trying to help you, in her own way, and really does have your best interests at heart. Work to understand her reasons and, if you still think that you really are right, then you should try to convince her.

Convincing your mother:

If you think the issue is that she doesn't understand, sit her down and calmly explain your points.

Don't make the mistake, however, of assuming that just because a person doesn't understand technology that they are somehow less intelligent or are ignorant. (I've made this mistake in the past and there have been consequences.) Your mother has a lot more life experience than you do, she just hasn't spent as much time dealing with computers and operating systems in depth.

When explaining technology to my mother, I've often tried to use analogies and simple examples to help her understand complex ideas (like the difference between RAM and hard drive space). That may help in this case, it may not. I don't know your mother.

If/when you do talk with her, make sure you listen well. DO NOT belittle her concerns. Address them as if they were strong arguments (even if you are sure they are not). Treating her points with respect, and calmly working her through the problems that she sees, will make her far more likely to see things your way. If you just shout her down, she'll stop listening to you.

Know that winning a debate isn't simply about making your argument logical and reasonable. It is about addressing her concerns and sharing your own.

Respect people:

I was going to say "respect your parent" but this applies to everyone you ever have a disagreement with. Always respect them. As soon as you start making yourself out to be better, wiser, stronger, smarter, etc. the other person will not listen anymore. If you show them respect, they will be more likely to do the same for you.

There is a delicate balance between being aggressive and being assertive. Be assertive, not aggressive.

Good luck and let us know how this turns out.
    My Laptop: Gateway T-6330u, 2.0 GHz Pentium Dual-Core, 3 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD - Ubuntu 14.04
    My Desktop: Lenovo IdeaCentre K450, 3.2 GHz Core i5, 8 GB RAM, 2.5 TB HDD - Windows 8.1, Ubuntu 14.04 in VM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The argument that she gave it to him so it is his to do with as he pleases is invalid.

He is a minor and she is the parent.She has very right to say what he can and cannot do with it.
    What color do Smurfs turn when you choke em?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast