Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Why can't I install and use mkisofs, cdrecord instead of genisoimage and wod

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

[SOLVED] Why can't I install and use mkisofs, cdrecord instead of genisoimage and wod

For the better part of today, I have been trying to install and use cdrtools and the various elements of it, ie,mkisofs, cdrecord etc. However, it has become abundantly clear to me that this is impossible, at least for the average user.

Clearly, Hardy Heron has been coded to disallow the user the choice to use these tools. Every time I install these programs, whether from the Ubuntu repo. or compiled from source, I am instructed to install genisoimage and wodim instead. The cdrtool programs have been installed in the optional directory by default but Ubuntu keeps telling me that they are not installed and I should install genisoimage and wodim.

This is troubling; I came to linux, open source, and Ubuntu because of the freedom and control espoused, but this is clearly a restrictive and oppressive practice, disallowing the user the ability to choose what packages she wants to use in the operating system she has installed on her computer.

I have searched through the forums and the internet and have tried a number of procedures but have not been able to do two simple things: (1) remove genisoimage and wodim without removing half of my entire system and (2) install the current version of cdrtools and have Ubuntu recognize that they are installed and use them as backends for programs and from the terminal.

Please let me know if there is some way I can do this and please provide detailed directions on how. Thank you so much for your time and help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thumbs down Re: Why can't I install and use mkisofs, cdrecord instead of genisoimage and wodim?

OK, I solved this issue myself. I had to remove all the hard and sym links that linked the genisoimage and wodim files to mkisofs and cdrecord, then I deleted the files that i removed the links from (ie, genisoimage, cdrecord and mkisofs) from the bin folder, then I moved the mkisofs and cdrecord files that had been installed by default in the optional folder to the bin folder. This allowed me to use mkisofs without it calling genisoimage. To use mkisofs and cdrecord as the defaults in Brasero, I had to delete the genisoimage and wodim files from the Brasero plugin folder.

I was able to make an iso file using mkisofs and use Brasero to burn the image to a blank CD without any errors and I can watch the CD in both Ubuntu and Windows.

Hope this helps someone .

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: [SOLVED] Why can't I install and use mkisofs, cdrecord instead of genisoimage and

I think it is horrible the way they have replaced the genuine cdrecord with the buggy garbage called "wodim". It is creating an unending list of bugs (which are going completely unaddressed). Read about this issue here... http://cdrecord.berlios.de/old/private/linux-dist.html

Politics, and obviously Debian/Ubuntu is taking the fascist road.

I can't find any repository for Kubuntu Hardy cdrtools - any help? And if you could write a little step-by-step guide on how to replace wodim I would appreciate it. Thanks to a wodim bug I can't burn any CDs now.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: [SOLVED] Why can't I install and use mkisofs, cdrecord instead of genisoimage and

Answering my own question, here is what worked for me. Use at your own risk.

Replacing wodim with cdrtools

The issue:
    http://cdrecord.berlios.de/private/linux-dist.html

"If you are not running the original software, get recent original software from the "Download recent" or from the "Download latest" location. Unpack, compile by running "make" and install. Make sure that all programs that send (SCSI) commands to CD/DVD/Blu-Ray drives are installed to be suid root.

If you are running cdrtools frontends like k3b and others and do not like to replace these programs with original versions, you should remove files like /usr/bin/wodim, /usr/bin/genisoimage, /usr/bin/icedax, /usr/bin/readom and replace them by links to the original software."

Download latest cdrtools from http://cdrecord.berlios.de/private/linux-dist.html
    Unpack
    CD to the directory cdrtools is in.
    sudo make
    sudo make install
    sudo make clean

Files are installed to /opt/schily
    (you may want to change their ownership to root:root)

Move the following files (some will be links) from /usr/bin to a junk folder...
    cdrecord
    genisoimage
    mkisofs
    readom
    wodim

Create links:
    /usr/bin/cdrecord --> /opt/schily/bin/cdrecord
    /usr/bin/genisoimage --> /opt/schily/bin/mkisofs
    /usr/bin/mkisofs --> /opt/schily/bin/mkisofs
    /usr/bin/readom --> /opt/schily/bin/readcd (correct?)
    /usr/bin/wodim --> /opt/schily/bin/cdrecord
    /usr/bin/readcd --> /opt/schily/bin/readcd
    /usr/bin/mkhybrid --> /opt/schily/bin/mkhybrid
    /usr/bin/cdda2wav --> /opt/schily/bin/cdda2wav

Related Links:
    http://ge.ubuntuforums.com/showthrea...86#post5216386
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...3b/+bug/149076
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...it/+bug/226650

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Someone asked me for a more detailed step-by-step so I will post it here. Please note that this is a brute force method for replacing wodim - your package manager will not be aware of the change and subsequent updates may break the software (though repeating these steps should restore it). However, since the Ubuntu folks refuse to release a package for cdrtools, this is one way to work around that.

Code:
    # Open a terminal window (Konsole in Kubuntu) and enter
    # the following commands

# install compiler tools
    sudo apt-get install build-essential

# Make sure you're in the home folder
    cd ~

# Make a working folder and change to it
    mkdir cdrtools
    cd cdrtools

# Download latest cdrtools from http://cdrecord.berlios.de/private/linux-dist.html
    wget ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/alpha/cdrtools-beta.tar.gz

# Unpack
    tar xzf cdrtools-beta.tar.gz

# CD to the directory cdrtools is in.
    cd cdrtools-2.01.01

# Compile and install
    make
    sudo make install

# Files are installed to /opt/schily
    # (you may want to change their ownership to root:root)
    sudo chown root:root /opt/schily/bin/*

# Move the following files (some will be links) from /usr/bin to a junk folder...
    sudo mkdir /opt/schily/replacedfiles
    sudo mv /usr/bin/cdrecord /opt/schily/replacedfiles
    sudo mv /usr/bin/genisoimage /opt/schily/replacedfiles
    sudo mv /usr/bin/mkisofs /opt/schily/replacedfiles
    sudo mv /usr/bin/readom /opt/schily/replacedfiles
    sudo mv /usr/bin/wodim /opt/schily/replacedfiles

# Create links:
    sudo ln -s /opt/schily/bin/cdrecord /usr/bin/cdrecord
    sudo ln -s /opt/schily/bin/mkisofs /usr/bin/genisoimage
    sudo ln -s /opt/schily/bin/mkisofs /usr/bin/mkisofs
    sudo ln -s /opt/schily/bin/readcd /usr/bin/readom
    sudo ln -s /opt/schily/bin/cdrecord /usr/bin/wodim
    sudo ln -s /opt/schily/bin/readcd /usr/bin/readcd
    sudo ln -s /opt/schily/bin/mkhybrid /usr/bin/mkhybrid
    sudo ln -s /opt/schily/bin/cdda2wav /usr/bin/cdda2wav

# Remove working folder
    cd ~
    sudo rm -r cdrtools
    Last edited by IgnorantGuru; December 26th, 2009 at 04:07 PM. Reason: added build-essential; removed sudo on make

Beans

Thank you! I followed your step-by-step and the froze the cdrkit-based packages. All the bugs and problems promptly went away.

This has been an interesting debugging journey. The cdrkit tools (wodim, et al) on Hardy have bugs that don't show up until later and, in my case, if I hadn't had an XP system to test on, would have resulted in a huge waste of time, energy, money, and good will. And, the bugs have been known for quite some time and have not been addressed in Hardy. I don't trust cdrkit any more. I understand that there are strong personalities involved and licensing subtleties that matter to distribution support. However, for my personal use, I just really couldn't care less about any of that.

Bottom line, I need for the tools to work reliably; cdrkit doesn't, cdrtools does. If there are licensing issues, well, that's what the "free nonfree" good/bad/ugly repositories are all about, right? I'm marginally Linux-competent, enough to get cdrtools working, with your guidance. What about the poor Windows user trying out Ubuntu for the first time?

There's absolutely no excuse for not packaging cdrtools and making them available in an alternative repository. The average user should have a choice.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thank you ignorantguru. I followed your little tutorial and it went off with no hitches. And I did a little googling and readom and readcd are in fact the same.

I have used ubuntu for about a year now and love it. So far this is the only complaint I have, this issue here. But at least it is less than the issues I have with other operating systems. I wish they would find it in their heart to give us the choice without having to do these work arounds.

Thank you very much. I for one am very greatful.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Glad it worked for you coldcoffee. I agree that the positives of Ubuntu far outweigh the negatives, but we have to complain about something. It's also important to remind the devs to leave users in control of their systems, as much as the devs are tempted to centralize control. I don't mind their changing the default cd burner for the dist, etc., but when they begin burning books there's a problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by IgnorantGuru View Post
    Someone asked me for a more detailed step-by-step so I will post it here. Please note that this is a brute force method for replacing wodim - your package manager will not be aware of the change and subsequent updates may break the software (though repeating these steps should restore it). However, since the Ubuntu folks refuse to release a package for cdrtools, this is one way to work around that.

Code:
    # Open a terminal window (Konsole in Kubuntu) and enter
    # the following commands

# Make sure you're in the home folder
    cd ~

# Make a working folder and change to it
    mkdir cdrtools
    cd cdrtools

# Download latest cdrtools from http://cdrecord.berlios.de/private/linux-dist.html
    wget ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/alpha/cdrtools-beta.tar.gz

# Unpack
    tar xzf cdrtools-beta.tar.gz

# CD to the directory cdrtools is in.
    cd cdrtools-2.01.01

# Compile and install
    sudo make
    sudo make install
    sudo make clean

# Files are installed to /opt/schily
    # (you may want to change their ownership to root:root)
    sudo chown root:root /opt/schily/bin/*

# Move the following files (some will be links) from /usr/bin to a junk folder...
    sudo mkdir /opt/schily/replacedfiles
    sudo mv /usr/bin/cdrecord /opt/schily/replacedfiles
    sudo mv /usr/bin/genisoimage /opt/schily/replacedfiles
    sudo mv /usr/bin/mkisofs /opt/schily/replacedfiles
    sudo mv /usr/bin/readom /opt/schily/replacedfiles
    sudo mv /usr/bin/wodim /opt/schily/replacedfiles

# Create links:
    sudo ln -s /opt/schily/bin/mkisofs /usr/bin/genisoimage
    sudo ln -s /opt/schily/bin/mkisofs /usr/bin/mkisofs
    # Is the following correct (is readcd a version of readom??)
    sudo ln -s /opt/schily/bin/readcd /usr/bin/readom
    sudo ln -s /opt/schily/bin/cdrecord /usr/bin/wodim
    sudo ln -s /opt/schily/bin/readcd /usr/bin/readcd
    sudo ln -s /opt/schily/bin/mkhybrid /usr/bin/mkhybrid
    sudo ln -s /opt/schily/bin/cdda2wav /usr/bin/cdda2wav

# Remove working folder
    cd ~
    sudo rm -r cdrtools
    Errors are generated in the process of compiling. Do I need some extra packages to compile the source?
    That's perhaps a silly question. But I am just a newbie.
    Thanks!
    谁言别后终无悔,
    寒月清宵绮梦回。
    深知身在情长在,
    前尘不共彩云飞。

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I think there is another way to install cdrtools. There is a team called the Ubuntu Burning Team. Check the page below:

https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-burning/+archive

They have provided apt sources of cdrtools. I added that to my sources and attempted to install the package mkisofs. The result was that the package genisoimage replaced mkisofs. Then I tried to uninstall the package genisoimage. It was surprising that the system told me that the package ubuntu-desktop would also be uninstalled, thus preventing me to get rid of the package genisoimage. In that situation, the packages provided by the Ubuntu Burning Team seems unusable.

Does anyone have a solution?

Thanks!
    谁言别后终无悔,
    寒月清宵绮梦回。
    深知身在情长在,
    前尘不共彩云飞。

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast