Page 54 of 61 FirstFirst ... 4445253545556 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: Simple upgrade to Hardy's developing kernel - 2.6.24

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Howto: Simple upgrade to Hardy's developing kernel - 2.6.24

Quote Originally Posted by Hero of Time View Post
    Could be, but why does it work with the 1.1.17 module and not with the 1.2.0? Also, it's the same version (0.5.6/0.6.0 I think).
    Maybe for the same reasons that if you just upgrade to a Hardy kernel on Gutsy some of your usb stuff won't work unless you upgrade your udev and even then you might have to manually mess with some of the .rules files.

In the usb case, there is no bug anywhere. It's just that the kernel, udev and modules which include .rules file in Gutsy work in a certain way and that way has changed for Hardy. So if you mix stuff from Gutsy and Hardy, you can experience failures. If you run a 100% Hardy system, you should not experience those failures.

Maybe the same is true for iwlwifi. Some conventions have changed so if all packages that participate in bringing up a wireless connexion do not use the same conventions, a failure occurs. This hypothesis remains to be proved but that's what I'd be looking for based on the fact that upgrading to a Hardy kernel on a Gutsy (or Feisty system) results in a failure that does not occur on a system which is 100% Hardy.

Why only the 3945 is affected, I don't know.
    Last edited by lemurian; March 6th, 2008 at 01:46 PM. Reason: typo!

Beans
    Hidden!

Could be, but why does it work with the 1.1.17 module and not with the 1.2.0? Also, it's the same version (0.5.6/0.6.0 I think).
    Moot point, it broke after a later update.

The kernel update didn't seem to do anything (it appeared to upgrade to 11 the first go-round). After that there was a small update including, I believe, gnome-network-manager, and THEN my wireless stopped working.

After I rebooted once the giant first-run update happened and everything worked I didn't really pay attention to the next one since I assumed everything was fine. Since everything went ***-up I ended up back on Gutsy, but I'm tempted to go for Alpha 6 just so I can more closely pay attention and see if the same thing happens.
    Want me to punchisize your face, For free??

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I don't use NM, as I am an Xubuntu user. All I use is wpa_supplicant for my wireless.
    Throw Apples out the Windows, but make sure not to hit the Penguin.

Beans
    Hidden!

I don't use NM, as I am an Xubuntu user. All I use is wpa_supplicant for my wireless.
    Well then I'm extremely confused. Something definitely broke AFTER I updated everything upon first boot. Restarted, got about four updates, and then my network connection shat out.

Regardless, it didn't feel that different from Gutsy, so I can wait another month or so for all these issues to get ironed out I suppose.

Beans

Are any of you using ndiswrapper for your wireless connection that has now died?

Beans
    Hidden!

I know I'm talking Hardy's kernel on Hardy, but I'm currently running Alpha 6 (just gambled on a full install). Did a full update and on my school's WPA Enterprise connection. No more updates to install, so I'm assuming this is just how it goes.

Maybe something updated?

Beans

If you're using ndiswrapper, I believe it may be broken in this particular kernel. I just upgraded to the newer kernel to check and ndiswrapper can't even create an interface (eth1 isn't present). I remember reading about this issue and I know there's a patch around somewhere. I'm just not sure if it's the problem that I'm seeing, or if it's something else interfering.

http://kerneltrap.org/Linux/NDISwrapper_and_the_GPL
    http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/3/4/300

Beans
    Distro

I just finished downloading alpha 6 from torrents and burnt to dvd (cd won't work, strange enough, I get errors). I will see if full hardy stuff will work properly with my wireless today.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by jw5801 View Post
    If you're using ndiswrapper, I believe it may be broken in this particular kernel. I just upgraded to the newer kernel to check and ndiswrapper can't even create an interface (eth1 isn't present). I remember reading about this issue and I know there's a patch around somewhere. I'm just not sure if it's the problem that I'm seeing, or if it's something else interfering.

http://kerneltrap.org/Linux/NDISwrapper_and_the_GPL
    http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/3/4/300
    I'm not sure if this could possibly be the culprit, but for some reason my wireless in Hardy is labeled "wlan0" and not "eth0" like it was under Gutsy.

Could it be that something is trying to read as eth0 or eth1 when the kernel wants wlan0?

If not, feel free to totally ignore this post.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post
    I'm not sure if this could possibly be the culprit, but for some reason my wireless in Hardy is labeled "wlan0" and not "eth0" like it was under Gutsy.

Could it be that something is trying to read as eth0 or eth1 when the kernel wants wlan0?

If not, feel free to totally ignore this post.
    No, the reason your wifi is labeled wlan0 is because the driver wants it like that. I had eth1 too at first with the ipw3945 module, but since the iwlwifi it's called wlan0. It's also possible that in the new kernel, all ethernet (wired) connections are called ethx, and wireless are called wlanx.

I'm now trying to get my wifi working in the live cd version of alpha 6, but so far I get nothing. Wpa_supplicant comes with error 04 and 05 messages. The exact message is:
    ioctl[SIOCSIWAUTH]: Operation not supported
    WEXT auth param 4 value 0x0 - ioctl[SIOCSIWAUTH]: Operation not supported
    WEXT auth param 5 value 0x1 -
    I had this before, and still have sometimes but when ran via scripts or with ifup, wpa_supplicant works just fine.

Small side note, my Scroll Lock key doesn't work anymore, the LED won't go on when I hit that key. Num Lock and Caps Lock do work. Not that I ever use Scroll Lock, but it's strange the LED won't go on.

Page 54 of 61 FirstFirst ... 4445253545556 ... LastLast